Grilled Huli Huli Chicken

To all of you who found this on Pinterest-welcome!  I hope you take a few minutes to look around on my blog.  Some of my all time favorite recipes are black beans & rice with chicken and apple salsaLacies infamous broccoli and craisin saladpotato and ham spinach frittatarustic balsamic chicken with roasted tomatoes and asparagus,caramelized onion mashed potatoes,sweet and sour meatballscoconut banana bread with lime glaze, just to name a few!  Thanks for stopping by.-Judy

According to Taste of Home magazine, this recipe comes from Hawaii.  Huli means "turn" in Hawaiian.  These were very flavorful.  The marinade is very close to the Barbecue Glaze I put on my Cedar Plank Pork.  Thighs are such a great cut of meat to grill - they don't dry out like the breasts do.  


Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
from Taste of Home Magazine

1 c brown sugar packed
3/4 c ketchup
3/4 c low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 c chicken broth
2 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
24 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 5 lbs)  (This makes a TON - I made half a batch)

In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients.  Reserve 1 1/3 cups for basting; cover and refrigerate.  Divide remaining marinade between two large resealable plastic bags.  Add 12 chicken thighs to each; seal bags and turn to coat.  Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Drain and discard marinade from chicken.  Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.

Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink; baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes.

Comments

Tiffany said…
Yumm, I just pinned this cant wait to try it! Its the BBQing time of the year!
Tan + Es said…
Tan just got some thighs on sale last night, and today this yummy recipe popped up. It's meant to be!
And in case you can't tell, I totally follow/drool over your blog still...I'm just really bad at commenting.
Unknown said…
Can you do this in the oven or crock pot? I don't have a grill :(
Judy and KC said…
I would think it would work in the oven - very much like a grill. I have no idea about the crock pot?
I just want to tell you this is a wonderful recipe! I have made this 5 or 6 time. My family love it. I did play with it a little by adding 1 tsp.sesame oil and about a Tbs. jalapeno juice Thank you for this recipe. Marlyne Bilton
Judy and KC said…
Marlyne - Thank you for taking the time to comment - I love hearing feedback from people who have tried the recipes! I love sesame oil and have never even heard of jalapeno juice but I think it sounds like a great addition! Thanks again
Unknown said…
How many does this serve? I bought 1 package of thighs for my husband and I..6 thighs...will it be enough?
Judy and KC said…
Kristie-6 is plenty for my husband and I. Just cut the recipe down to 1/4 of the regular recipe. Enjoy!
Unknown said…
I've been using this same recipe and love it but I use sherry in place of the chicken stock and it adds a wonderful depth and adds to the flavor. I'm sure its great with stock this is just a suggestion if you have it in your pantry!
Unknown said…
This is delicious! I made this tonight and my family of 5 gobbled it up and and gave it rave reviews! Thank you!!