Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Black Beans & Rice with Chicken and Apple Salsa

My daughter told me about this recipe.  It is so delicious and good for you!  I love the fresh flavors of the apple salsa and the zip of the lime juice.  I really liked the mixture of the different flavors and textures. This is definitely one we will have again soon!



Black Beans & Rice with Chicken and Apple Salsa
from Our Best Bites


1 c chopped peeled Granny Smith apple
1/4 c chopped cilantro, divided
1/3 c finely chopped red onion, divided
2 limes
1/3 c finely chopped green bell pepper
1-2 TBSP olive oil
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
 1 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
1 13.5 ounce can chicken broth
2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cups cooked brown or white rice
1 rotisserie chicken, or 4 grilled chicken breasts
4-6 lime wedges

Combine apple, cilantro, 2 TBSP onion, and the juice from half a lime.  Sprinkle with a little kosher salt and black pepper.  Set aside.

Combine remaining onion, bell pepper, and oil in a large skillet.  Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until completely softened, 6-7 minutes.  Add garlic and next 3 ingredients; stir constantly for 2 minutes (I only cooked it for about 30 seconds so the garlic wouldn't burn).  Stir in broth and beans; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium; simmer briskly, mashing some of the beans with the back of a spoon or fork, stirring often, until sauce is thickened, 8-10 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and a big squeeze of lime juice (I put in a lot!)  Divide rice and beans among plates.  Top with some chicken and apple salsa.  Garnish with additional cilantro and lime wedges.  Serves 4-6.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you liked it! Beautiful photo mom!

Rach, Mike and Allie said...

Your pictures look amazing!

Christopher Miller said...

Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

This sounds delicious. I am new to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day.Blessings...Mary

Judy and KC said...

Mary - I'm so glad to hear from you! I also went to your food blog and enjoyed looking through your many yummy recipes. I am honored that you took the time to check out my food blog. Great to hear from a fellow foodie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...