Fresh Raspberry Sherbet

This has been a bumper crop year for our raspberries.  I think that because we had a wet cool spring, our raspberry plants thought they were in Oregon!  I have made several batches of jam, and am always looking for new ways to use our raspberries.  I found this recipe last night and it was wonderful and couldn't be easier!  My husband said that this is his new favorite ice cream.  It comes out a beautiful rich red color and is bursting with a fresh raspberry flavor.  It is perfect just as it comes out of the ice cream freezer.  If you end up having any left over and freeze it, it turns quite hard, so let if soften up a bit before serving. 




Fresh Raspberry Sherbet
from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz.

What you need:
  • 4 cups raspberries (or other berries), fresh and/or frozen
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1½ tsp. fresh lemon juice ( I used the juice of one whole lemon - I thought it tasted better, but add it to your taste)
  1. Puree the berries, milk and sugar in a food processor or blender until smooth.
  2. Strain to remove the seeds.
  3. Stir in the lemon juice.
  4. Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker.

Comments