Burst O'Lemon Muffins

My sweet neighbor Cherie gave me a Taste of Home Cupcake Cookbook for my birthday, along with a cupcake pan and cupcake liners.  What a great gift!  It has fun cupcake recipes, along with muffins and more.  As I looked through it last night, I saw this recipe and knew I had to try it immediately!  We loved it!  It has all my favorite things in it - lots of fresh lemon juice, lemon zest and coconut.  How could you miss!  Thanks Cherie!!


Burst O'Lemon Muffins
Taste of Home Cupcakes!
Yield: 12 muffins

1 3/4 c flour
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 c (8 oz) lemon yogurt
1 egg
1/3 c butter, melted
2 TBSP grated lemon zest
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1/2 c flaked coconut

TOPPING:
1/3 c fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c flaked coconut, toasted

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In a small bowl, beat the yogurt, egg, butter, lemon zest and lemon juice until smooth, stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Fold in the coconut.

Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake at 400 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool for 5 minutes  before removing from pan to a wire rack. 

In a saucepan, combine the lemon juice and sugar, cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.  Stir in coconut.  Using a toothpick, poke 6-8 holes in each muffin.  Spoon the coconut mixture over muffins.  Serve the muffins warm or cool to room temperature. 

Comments

Aubrey said…
What a great picture! They look divine and I'll be trying those for sure. Then I can share :)