Quinoa Tabouleh with a Greek Twist

With my husband's work, they have a program called "Healthy Utah" where they have challenges from time to time to improve our health.  The challenge this month is called Iron Chef.  They choose a secret ingredient each week that we have to use in our cooking to try to broaden our horizons in healthy eating.  The secret ingredient this week was quinoa! (pronounced KEEN-wah)  I have never used it, but had recently tasted a salad made by my friend Melinda using bulgur.  I really liked it and thought it sounded similar to quinoa, so I substituted it in this recipe.  I think it turned out really yummy - but the quinoa doubles in bulk, where I don't think the bulgar does, so I think I would use less of it next time.
Quinoa is VERY good for you - a wonderful whole grain.  Give it a try!





I loved using fresh tomatoes, basil, and parsley from my garden.



Quinoa Tabouleh with a Greek twist


1 c quinoa (I think I would use 1/2 - 3/4 c next time)

2 c water (double whatever amount you use of the quinoa)

½ tsp salt



1/3 c fresh basil, chopped

¼ c fresh parsley, chopped

1 large cucumber, peeled and cut into little chunks

1 -1 ½ c grape tomatoes, sliced in half or thirds

3 green onions, chopped

1 tsp salt

½ tsp black pepper

1/3 c extra virgin olive oil

1/3 c freshly squeezed lemon juice

4 oz feta cheese, crumbled



Bring the 2 c of water and salt to a boil in a small pan. Be sure to rinse the quinoa well and add it to the water and stir.   Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Cool to room temperature.

Combine all the ingredients, gently adding the feta cheese last. Refrigerate.

Comments

Tan + Es said…
I'm watching Iron Chef right now! And I've always wanted to try quinoa! This looks delightful!
Melinda said…
I've never tried quinoa. I think I will!