Chewy Oatmeal Cookies

If I had to choose a favorite kind of cookie, for me it would be an oatmeal raisin cookie.  I just think they taste like comfort would taste - if it had a taste!  This is a recipe that my mom makes - I love it!





Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
from "Mormon Family Cookbook"

1 c water
1 c raisins

Boil, covered for 2 minutes.  Remove and cool.  Drain and save 1/4 c of the raisin water.

1 c flour (I think it needs more - I do a heaping cup!)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Sift the flour, soda and salt together.  Set aside.

3/4 c shortening
1/2 c sugar
1 c brown sugar

Cream shortening and sugars together thoroughly (this takes about 2-3 minutes - don't rush it). 

1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 c. quick oats (uncooked)
1/2 c chopped nuts (optional)

Add the egg and vanilla; combine well.  Mix in the 1/4 c of raisin water, oats and flour mixture.  Stir in the well drained raisins and nuts.  Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet.  Bake 8-10 min at 350 degrees.

Comments