Corn Chowder

I saw this recipe demonstrated on Good Things Utah back in 2004. I made it and it has become one of my husband's favorites. I like it because it is a chowder that is very low-fat! I make it with skim milk, but I'm sure it would be even better with whole milk. We figure it is about 270 calories per serving when made with skim milk. It is even better warmed up the next day!

Corn Chowder
Adapted from a recipe by two chefs at Gastronomy Restaurants (Will Pliler and Bill McArthur)
Serves 6

Ingredients:
4 slices bacon, chopped
4 TBSP flour
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 leek, chopped (optional)
4 c frozen corn kernels
4 ½ c milk (I use skim)
1 can chicken broth
3 medium potatoes, diced
1 TBSP butter
1 ½ tsp salt (to taste)
ground black pepper (to taste)

Method: Cook the bacon in a soup pot over low heat until crispy. Add the onions, celery and leeks (optional) and cook until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir until smooth. Add the milk, chicken broth, corn, potatoes, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook, covered, about 20 minutes, or just until the potatoes are tender. (Note: when you first mix these together, it will look like clumps of stuff, but it will all smooth out as you cook and stir) After cooking, puree about 2 cups of the soup mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth, and pour back into the soup. Add the butter and garnish with chopped green onions (optional).

Comments

beckiemanning said…
Judy--have you tried the fat free half and half?
Melinda said…
Beckie got me using the fat free half and half years ago. I think it's great for soups and I use it all the time. This corn chowder looks wonderful!